Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Snowflake Plates



When Armando and I still lived in NYC, I saw this set of dishes or at least a similar design, at Target. It was the last Christmas that we spent in the city. We knew it was going to be our last. In fact, we had already begun looking for a house here. That was in the winter of 2005.

I wanted these dishes. I didn't really have an explanation for them. I just liked how playful, yet grown up they were. Definitely different from our China we got as wedding gifts. China which at that point, was stored at my parents house. We hadn't even used it yet!

How could I possibly justify this purchase? We didn't need anything else to pack up. We wanted to haul, as little as possible, across the country. Oh, and we were saving for a house. It killed me, but I resisted. And I didn't buy the dishes. I thought about them a lot. More than was normal.

We moved that summer. In the heat of summer no less! Thoughts shifted to our new life. Armando's new job. My stay-at-home wife role. Trying to get our house in order. Of making babies. We wanted to start a family. We had been married over a year. It was time. Then life just took over. I was pregnant and soon Alessandra was here.

My leisurely, shopping days at Target, pretty much ended. I could barley muster up the energy to get us ready and out the door. Forget about the drive to Target. Even if I got there, it was for the basics. Shampoo, diapers, and onesies were all I could think of. I forgot about all the whimsy our home could have.

That is, until today! Alessandra and I decided to do the whole shopping adventure. I figured, I need to get more of these days in, before the baby gets here. I know how we have to work Target. First we eat a snack. Then we go through the Dollar Spot, and then the toys. That gives me a good 30 minutes to troll the store for things I need or want.

But today Alessandra was completely lost in her new doll and teddy bear. I had promised each of those a while back. But every time we went shopping, neither of us remembered. Until today. With her entertained, I was able to troll all the aisles. Don't tell Armando! I picked up a few new pieces of clothing. Let's be real here. I am growing faster than a weed! And I found my dishes.

Yes, those prized dishes! I have wanted them for years. But I had somewhat forgot about them. I would remember the snowflakes after Christmas. When I would go look, they would be gone. And I would tell myself, next year. I finally found them. With the help of the nice Target man, I got them to the register, paid, and out to the car.

My in-laws came over earlier. My mother-in-law just adored them! Yes! Armando thought is was a nice buy. Granted I didn't tell him how much I paid. He didn't ask either. But we figured it would pain us less, if our darling daughter broke a Target plate, rather than a piece of China during the holidays. Because you know kids, they try to be careful. But it doesn't always work out. I can't wait to try our new snowflake plates! ~G

No comments:

Post a Comment